How is a medical spa different from a regular spa and what types of treatments do they offer?
Anyone who has had the pleasure of spending time at a spa knows what a wonderful experience it can be. Far too often, the bulk of our time is focused on tasks that need to be done or the care of others. Self-care time ends up at the bottom of the list, if it manages to make it on the page at all.
Making an appointment at a spa, by definition, means that we have carved out time that will be devoted entirely to us. At a traditional spa, this may mean a relaxing massage, facial, manicure or one of several other treatments designed to make us feel better. But, how does this differ from the types of services offered by what we have come to know as a medical spa?
What Is a Medical Spa?
As the name implies, a medical spa, or med spa, is a hybrid that combines an aesthetic medical center with many of the aspects of a traditional spa. There are two important differences. First, a medical spa will be operated under the supervision of a licensed physician, preferably a board-certified plastic surgeon. And, where the goal of a traditional spa is primarily that of relaxation, most medical spas offer treatments and procedures that provide results lasting far beyond the enjoyment of the day.
Medical spas typically focus on the latest noninvasive innovations in skincare treatments. Most will also offer pharmaceutical-grade skincare products, recommended specifically for each individual client.
Treatments Offered at JEMA Beauty Medical Spa
JEMA Beauty Medical Spa, the state-of-the-art medical spa under the supervision of board-certified plastic surgeon Brian Cohen, M.D., offers a wide range of cutting-edge treatment options based on the latest technological advances. Some of the most popular of these include:
- Fibroblast Plasma Therapy – used to treat fine lines and wrinkles on the face, including around the mouth and “crow’s feet”
- The HydraFacial – signature treatment combining cleansing, extraction, hydration, exfoliation and antioxidant protection
- IPL Photofacial – handheld device using intense pulsed light therapy that target signs of aging and sun damage and can also be used to decrease appearance of freckles, redness and visible capillaries
- Laser Skin Tightening – lifts and tightens sagging skin and reduces appearance of wrinkles
- Laser Hair Removal – high-energy pulses of light to remove unwanted hair
- Microneedling – stimulates collagen production which can result in improving the appearance of skin damaged by sun, acne, excess pigmentation and stretch marks
- Platelet Rich Plasma – encourages healing by stimulating cellular regeneration
- Brow and Lash Tints – for defining eyebrows and lashes
- Chemical Peels – to remove skin irregularities and renew the smooth texture of your skin
- Microdermabrasion – removes top-most layer of skin to improve texture and tone
- Microblading – also called “eyebrow embroidery”, shapes and highlights eyebrows
If you are looking for a way to rejuvenate your appearance that allows you to skip the pain, high cost and downtime of more invasive procedures, you need to look no farther than JEMA Medical Spa.
Dr. Brian D. Cohen is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive training in cosmetic/reconstructive plastic surgery and has had years of experience performing a wide array of cosmetic surgery procedures, specializing in procedures of the face, eyes, nose, breast and body and is known for his exemplary and compassionate care by his patients. Knowing that Dr. Cohen has been selected by his peers in Super Doctors and Top Doctors for 9 years in a row in 2021 gives you the confidence that he is highly respected for his performance in his specialty. Information on locations and office hours for Cohen Plastic Surgery can be found by clicking here.